Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Egyptian museum in Italy

the Egyptian museum of Italy is located in Toronto Northwest Italy, it is dedicated to Pharaonic antiquities and has displayed  at least 30,000 Egyptian antiquities, and has annually been visited  by nearly one million tourists.

The museum, which was recently renovated, aims to educate and fascinate people with Egypt's incredible history. 

Date of its establishment

It was established in 1824 AD (that is, nearly 200 years ago), and it began with the collection of the Italian traveler Droviti (1776-1852 AD), which was more than 5,000 Egyptian pieces. Droviti is one of the most prominent thieves of Egyptian antiquities.

The museum contains rare Egyptian artifacts, what are attached on the article.

The first object having an association with Egypt to arrive in Turin was the Mensa Isiaca in 1630, an altar table in imitation of Egyptian style, which Dulu Jones thinks that had been created for a temple to Isis in Rome.

It is An elaborate bronze tablet with enamel and silver inlay mimicking Egyptian style, the Mensa Isiaca or Bembine Tablet or Bembine Table of Isis was probably created in Rome during the first century CE, it was discovered after the sack of Rome in 1527, soon after which Cardinal Pietro Bimbo acquired it at an exorbitant price

The role of King Charles Emmanuel III 

This exotic piece spurred King Charles Emmanuel III to commission botanist Vitaliano Donati to travel to Egypt in 1753 and acquire items from its past, Donati returned with 300 pieces recovered from Karnak and Copts, which became the nucleus of the Turin collection.

In 1824, King Charles Felix acquired the material from the Drovetti collection (5,268 pieces, including 100 statues, 170 papyri, stelae, mummies, and other items), that the French General Consul, Bernardino Drovetti, had built during his stay in Egypt, in the same year, Jean-François Champollion used the huge Turin collection of papyri to test his breakthroughs in deciphering the hieroglyphic writing, the time Champollion spent in Turin studying the texts is also the origin of a legend about the mysterious disappearance of the "Papiro dei Re", that was only later found and of which some portions are still unavailable, in 1950, a parapsychologist was contacted to pinpoint them, to no avail.

The collection of Piedmontese Giuseppe Sossio 

In 1833, the collection of Piedmontese Giuseppe Sossio (over 1,200 pieces) was added to the Egyptian Museum, the collection was complemented and completed by the finds of Egyptologist Ernesto Schiaparelli, during his excavation campaigns between 1900 and 1920, which further filled out the collection. Its last major acquisition was the small temple of Ellesiya, which the Egyptian government presented to Italy for her assistance during the Nubian monument salvage campaign in the 1960s.

Through all these years, the Egyptian collection has always been in Turin, in the building designed for the purpose of housing it, in Via Accademia delle Scienze 6, only during the Second World War was some of the material moved to the town of Agliè, the museum became an experiment of the Italian government in privatization of the nation's museums when the Fondazione Museo delle Antichità Egizie was officially established at the end of 2004, the building itself was remodelled in celebration of the 2006 Winter Olympics, with its main rooms redesigned by Dante Ferretti, and "featured an imaginative use of lighting and mirrors in a spectacular display of some of the most important and impressive Pharaonic statues in the museum.


 


Post a Comment

0 Comments